Thursday, November 13, 2008

Featured Etsy Artist: Thinking Mama


Featured Etsy Shop: Thinking Mama



1. What is your shop name and what do you sell? My shop is called Thinking Mama and I make things using recycled wool and cashmere sweaters. I make baby hats, coin purses, coffee cup sleeves and water bottle covers. I'm an ecologist by day so many of my items have designs that are inspired by nature.

2. What is your shop URL?http://www.thinkingmama.etsy.com/



4. When did you start selling on Etsy?I started selling on etsy just after Christmas last year, so not quite a year.
5. What is your favorite thing about Etsy?I love all the great things people sell! It's hard to keep the money that I make because there are so many amazing things I'd love to buy. I also love that it's a community and people are generally really nice and helpful. I don't feel all alone on etsy.

6. What is your favorite thing about what you sell?I love taking sweaters that people don't want because they have little holes, or they're really outdated styles, and turning them into fresh, modern creations. I love that most of my things are one-of-a-kind, since my materials are limited, so I get to try new designs and fun color combinations a lot.


7. What is your favorite item in your own shop and why?Right now my favorite thing that I sell are my water bottle covers. They're for metal bottles like Siggs or Klean Kanteens and I mostly make them as custom orders. I love making designs that the customer will love and it feels good to make it easier for people to use eco-friendly water bottles. Now they have something warm and cozy to add style to their bottle!

8. What teams do you belong to?I belong to the EtsyMoms team and also to a local etsy co-op. It's the Portland Independent Artisans Cooperative, or PDX Indie for short. It a really supportive group and it's been great to connect with other artists in my city.

9. What is the most fun thing you do to promote your shop?I use my coffee sleeves! It's a good excuse to go out and get a cup of coffee.


10. What are some of your favorite finds by other sellers on Etsy?Since I love science and nature, I really like the slighty nerdy kids things that Electricboogaloo makes. I also bought my daughter a handmade doll for her birthday from WeeFaerieFolk and she's the most beautiful doll!
11. What do you do in your spare time?Spare time? I feel like I don't have much of it! When I do I love to knit and go on walks outside, though not at the same time.


12. What blogs do you follow?I read a lot of knitting/crafting blogs. I love to see what other people in the crafty world are up to.

13. Do you have anything else you would like to share? Nope!

No comments: